Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Wednesday Mic at Sycamore Tavern

Write your review in the comments

1 comment:

  1. Open mic at Sycamore has been going on since February of 2019 and is hosted by a gentleman named Marty. For the longest time he used to host another mic that was a favorite among some comics on L.A., but that mic has since closed. If you miss Marty, you can find him at Sycamore on Wednesdays.
    The business is a full bar and has a menu that includes comfort food like burgers, sandwiches pizza and salads and appetizers like calamari, truffle tots and wings. The mic takes place in a room separate from the bar. The business has a huge parking lot, which surprised me because this venue is on Sunset Blvd., a street full of businesses but only offering street parking or nearby lots, never their own. But not at Sycamore.
    Inside the room with the mic, there is no stage. A mic is set up to one corner and is well lit. I’d say there are close to 40 seats that can see the stage well. For a backdrop you see black curtains and a sign that says “The Dojo Annex”. Signup is first come first choice. There is a one item minimum purchase to go up. This room is for standup only. There are no language restrictions. Talent gets five minutes, the light from Marty, who sat at one table off to the side, easily visible.
    Marty showed up at 6:55pm. The signup sheet came out, and there were ten signups right away. I got the second spot because of my early arrival: I was there at 5:55pm.
    The evening started at 7pm with Marty just going into his routine, telling quite a few witty one-liners. (I asked him after the mic if he would do my room, minus the F bombs.) We had 17 people in the room. While some talent left after their set, others filtered in. At 8pm we had 17 people in the room. The number waned at 8:50pm with 11 in the room and eight people at 9pm. The whole evening ended at 9:30pm.
    Guys, I want to recommend this room, but with some reluctance. This room is phenomenal, what with the easy parking situation, as well as a terrific host who is genuinely funny. It can be the first of two rooms in close proximity of one another, The Pikey, which starts later that same night being the other room.
    The downside of this room is it’s not consistent. Marty shared with me the other week they had a special event the night he was supposed to have his mic. The room purports to end at 9pm because there is supposed to be a second mic that same night run by someone else, yet the night I performed we ended at 9:30pm because there was no second mic that night.
    I very much want to recommend this room. But I equally recommend you contact them the week you’re going to do it to make sure it is happening. The Sycamore Tavern.
    Don’t worry if you arrive late. There’s plenty of parking.

    ReplyDelete