Parking at AvantGarden is on the street or in a public parking lot that charges $1 an hour. All genres are welcome. There are no language restrictions. Talent gets three songs or 15 minutes. The room goes till the last talent goes up. Signup is first come first choice. The room has been going on five months. It takes place – now, understand this – the Friday before the first Saturday of every month. It’s not necessarily the first Friday, but it’s certainly the Friday before the first Saturday. The business is an art gallery. They offered some drink choices, including wine and beer, for a donation. The amount is up to you. There is no stage. A mic and stand are set up in the center of the gallery. Sixteen collapsible chairs are set up all facing the mic, their backs to the entrance. The lighting is pretty good on the talent. The evening started at 7:18pm. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the host, as he did not introduce himself. He just started playing music. We had six people total in the room. Since their debut, this was the first time attendance was so low. Of course, it was the second game of the playoffs. A number of people who otherwise would have done open mic watched the game instead, I imagine. I went up second, playing to six people and finishing at 7:38pm. After my set, additional people came, and soon we had ten in the room by 8pm. Originally, there was one mic set up, but a second one was brought in for a guitarist at 8:05pm. With only a few signups, after we had completed the list, I was asked to go up again. At first I protested, saying I would only do the same act, the new material I had tried the first time round, but the host said they’d love to hear it again and for the four new people who showed up it would be their first time hearing it. I agreed to perform again, adding some new jokes that I knew worked in my regular act. In the end, I killed twice. Guys, the week I did this room does not represent this room at its best. However, the host and his wife sure had the spirit of someone who was hosting a cotillion. They were so animated, happy to have standup in a room that is used to music. Were it not for baseball, this room would have had quite a few more people. That you can sip on some wine or beer makes this open mic all the more festive. I suggest the comics in Orange County make a point of doing this room. Los Angeles County comics I recommend making the trip to Santa Ana when you’re ready to practice a 15 minute set for a general audience. To visitors from out of town or state, you’re probably in the area visiting Disneyland. But if you find the time, this monthly mic is worthy of doing. Just tuck the kids, or bring them to the mic.
Parking at AvantGarden is on the street or in a public parking lot that charges $1 an hour. All genres are welcome. There are no language restrictions. Talent gets three songs or 15 minutes. The room goes till the last talent goes up. Signup is first come first choice. The room has been going on five months. It takes place – now, understand this – the Friday before the first Saturday of every month. It’s not necessarily the first Friday, but it’s certainly the Friday before the first Saturday.
ReplyDeleteThe business is an art gallery. They offered some drink choices, including wine and beer, for a donation. The amount is up to you. There is no stage. A mic and stand are set up in the center of the gallery. Sixteen collapsible chairs are set up all facing the mic, their backs to the entrance. The lighting is pretty good on the talent.
The evening started at 7:18pm. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the host, as he did not introduce himself. He just started playing music. We had six people total in the room. Since their debut, this was the first time attendance was so low. Of course, it was the second game of the playoffs. A number of people who otherwise would have done open mic watched the game instead, I imagine. I went up second, playing to six people and finishing at 7:38pm. After my set, additional people came, and soon we had ten in the room by 8pm.
Originally, there was one mic set up, but a second one was brought in for a guitarist at 8:05pm. With only a few signups, after we had completed the list, I was asked to go up again. At first I protested, saying I would only do the same act, the new material I had tried the first time round, but the host said they’d love to hear it again and for the four new people who showed up it would be their first time hearing it. I agreed to perform again, adding some new jokes that I knew worked in my regular act. In the end, I killed twice.
Guys, the week I did this room does not represent this room at its best. However, the host and his wife sure had the spirit of someone who was hosting a cotillion. They were so animated, happy to have standup in a room that is used to music. Were it not for baseball, this room would have had quite a few more people. That you can sip on some wine or beer makes this open mic all the more festive.
I suggest the comics in Orange County make a point of doing this room. Los Angeles County comics I recommend making the trip to Santa Ana when you’re ready to practice a 15 minute set for a general audience. To visitors from out of town or state, you’re probably in the area visiting Disneyland. But if you find the time, this monthly mic is worthy of doing. Just tuck the kids, or bring them to the mic.