Pop! By Rosie’s is actually a kind of workplace from which non-profit events are orchestrated. It’s not a place that serves food or drink, is not a gallery with art on the walls. The place will remind you of an unkempt office. But it’s ideal for standup, which is only what this room is. Parking is free on the street. Signup is first come first choice. There is a $5 admission to perform. Talent gets seven minutes. There are no language restrictions, but the host, a gentleman named Brinan, specifically said that comics may not use the N or R word unless they are one. The room has been going on since June of 2019. There is no stage. A mic, stand and chair are placed on a rug in the center of the room. For a backdrop, a sort of bamboo-like wall, thin as a yoga mat, is set up behind the mic. The room seats 19, all chairs facing the stage, save for those along the side of one wall. Still, everyone can see the talent no problem. The room goes till the last talent has gone up. The signup sheet came out at 7:13pm. There were six signups right away. I arrived fifth and took the fifth spot. Comics were good about making sure those arriving before them signed up before them. The evening started at 8pm. Brinan announced there were 22 signups. I counted 17 present in the room, but I think a few of the signups were outside smoking. Brinan opened with some material, announced we had a co-host, John, announced who was on deck, then brought up the first talent. We had 19 in the room by the second comic. Attendance thinned slightly as the evening went on. By 9pm we had 15 in the room; at 9:37pm we had 13. At that time, the co-host, John, went up and hosted for the rest of the night after doing a set. I’ll admit, I did not stay till the end. With 22 signups and seven minutes a piece, plus the downtime in between, this is one long night of open mic standup. I run an open mic myself, sometimes giving seven minutes, but if I had that many signups, I would have lessened the amount of stage time. Guys, I recommend doing this mic. But I also recommend coming early to get a spot near the beginning of the room. Attendance will dwindle as the evening progresses. Undoubtedly. But Brinan is a good host, keeps the room moving along, lengthy though it is, and everyone is there to support the mic and no other reason. That is a big plus about this room: no distractions.
Pop! By Rosie’s is actually a kind of workplace from which non-profit events are orchestrated. It’s not a place that serves food or drink, is not a gallery with art on the walls. The place will remind you of an unkempt office. But it’s ideal for standup, which is only what this room is.
ReplyDeleteParking is free on the street. Signup is first come first choice. There is a $5 admission to perform. Talent gets seven minutes. There are no language restrictions, but the host, a gentleman named Brinan, specifically said that comics may not use the N or R word unless they are one. The room has been going on since June of 2019.
There is no stage. A mic, stand and chair are placed on a rug in the center of the room. For a backdrop, a sort of bamboo-like wall, thin as a yoga mat, is set up behind the mic. The room seats 19, all chairs facing the stage, save for those along the side of one wall. Still, everyone can see the talent no problem. The room goes till the last talent has gone up.
The signup sheet came out at 7:13pm. There were six signups right away. I arrived fifth and took the fifth spot. Comics were good about making sure those arriving before them signed up before them.
The evening started at 8pm. Brinan announced there were 22 signups. I counted 17 present in the room, but I think a few of the signups were outside smoking. Brinan opened with some material, announced we had a co-host, John, announced who was on deck, then brought up the first talent. We had 19 in the room by the second comic. Attendance thinned slightly as the evening went on. By 9pm we had 15 in the room; at 9:37pm we had 13. At that time, the co-host, John, went up and hosted for the rest of the night after doing a set.
I’ll admit, I did not stay till the end. With 22 signups and seven minutes a piece, plus the downtime in between, this is one long night of open mic standup. I run an open mic myself, sometimes giving seven minutes, but if I had that many signups, I would have lessened the amount of stage time.
Guys, I recommend doing this mic. But I also recommend coming early to get a spot near the beginning of the room. Attendance will dwindle as the evening progresses. Undoubtedly. But Brinan is a good host, keeps the room moving along, lengthy though it is, and everyone is there to support the mic and no other reason. That is a big plus about this room: no distractions.