Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Tuesday Mic at New York Bagel And Cafe

Write your review in the comments

1 comment:

  1. New York Bagel used to have open mic on Friday and Saturday. They don’t anymore. Now, it’s Tuesday night, which has standup only, and Wednesday night, which is open to all genres of talent. The business shares a parking lot with other businesses; otherwise, there is metered parking on the streets at $1 an hour.
    The business is a bagel store, a small business that seats 21. A small six-inch stage to the immediate left of the entrance, with just enough room for a mic, stand and talent, allows everyone inside a clear view of the comic. There is a $5 minimum purchase to perform. The business offers sandwiches, wraps, pizza and soups, even some dessert choices. To drink, they offer coffees, teas and smoothies as well as bottled nonalcoholic drinks.
    I arrived at 5:45pm. Signup is first come first choice. Upon entering I saw the signup sheet was already out and there were three names on it. I took the fourth spot. Talent gets five minutes. There are no language restrictions.
    The room is run by a woman named Tracy and has only been going on some weeks. I bought a smoothie for $7.75 and bided my time till the mic began. I noted the one TV in the room that was turned off even before I got here. Almost on time, the night started at 7:03pm. We had 13 people in the room total, including the gentleman working behind the counter. I recognized three fellow comics. Tracy welcomed everyone, did some material, then brought up the first talent. Comic after comic did their sets, respecting the light when they got it from Tracy who sat to one side close of the stage.
    At 7:53pm we had 8 people in attendance. The evening ended at 8:06pm. There were not a lot of signups. I think this room is still new on the comedy map and needs a little time for L.A. comics to discover it.
    Guys, this is a good room to do. Everyone in attendance is there for the mic. There are no distractions, unless people are coming in or exiting, possibly crossing in front of those sitting down at the tables. Half the open mics, if not more, charge a performance fee. I think it’s better to have to buy something than outright give cash. You have to eat and drink to survive. May as well coincide your hunger with a one item minimum at an open mic. Tracy is a good host, wants every comic to feel welcomed.

    ReplyDelete