Thursday, January 2, 2014

Monday Mic at Hard Hat Lounge

Write your review in the comments

2 comments:

  1. Open mic at Hard Hat is run by Victor Hernandez, a comedian who also runs another open mic in Las Vegas. Thank you, Victor.
    The room is simple. In the furthest corner from the front entrance – the bathroom to one side and a side entrance to the other – on a six-inch platform, a single mic stands under tinted lights, bathing the comedian in dark hues. Four TVs, including one directly behind the stage were on but muted. Before the show begins, the TV behind the mic is shut off. The bar seats 24, but additional collapsible chairs are placed right in front of the stage, and several people took advantage of that. Not only is Hard Hat a full bar, but it also serves comfort food like burgers, variously fashioned fries, chicken basket, pretty much fried foods. I had their beef quesadilla.
    Victor has been running the room for a year and a half, though comedy-only at Hard Hat has been going on for four and a half years. The signup sheet came out 9:37pm. Victor showed up early. Usually, it’s 9:45. I was the only person in the room. We talked for a little. Then he starting setting up. Only as we approached start time did the comedians pile in. By 11pm we had 15 in the room. Signup is first come first choice. There are no language restrictions. Talent gets five minutes, the light at four.
    When Victor started the show, as high as his energy was, as the first signup went on stage, I looked around the room and surmised only half the room was listening. Some people were there just for the show, but mostly it was comedians waiting their turn. Some paid attention. Others stayed outside, smoking, while still others just stayed in the front of the bar, ostensibly working on their own material.
    By 11:30pm there were 16 people in the room, two staff, and our host. I went up third, playing to less than that number on stage. Those sitting closest were listening, I could see. Those at the front of the bar were doing something else. It was pretty much like that the whole evening, though the numbers had gone down a couple by the time I left after midnight. I sat close to the stage to support, and I think everyone appreciated each other, those who did pay attention and made an effort to do so. I liked that.
    Victor runs a good room. He does what he’s supposed to for a host and producer. I only wish the talent there to perform were there for the experience. Receive someone else’s musings then share your own, and we’ll all support each other. I know this sounds Kum ba yah, but what the f**k? It’s only for an hour or hour and a half.
    Still, do this room. It takes place late, so you can still get in some Vegas Strip time, gambling, eating, watch the lights, the glitz, whatever, and then drop in and do some stage time. One night not performing is one night you may get rusty.

    ReplyDelete